Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Bread and Butter

This weekend was all about family. My father-in-law’s birthday has always been a center stage time in our family, but now with age and withering health it is a grand performance. It is the time to tell him just how important he is in our lives, how much we love him and I try and do my part with food.


The whole family getting together at our house for brunch and I overcooked as usual. I sort of went a little nuts with the muffins, scones and various condiments. But simplicity always wins, everybody’s favorite is always bread and butter.

I have been baking bread for a while now, and although I normally strive for the crusty, artisanal, Italian or French style yeasted breads, I decided to give this simple zucchini bread a try. It seemed simple and fresh and did not require any rising.

I also made sweet butter to go with it. Just because I find it fascinating how to make butter. One of these days I will post the whole process with pictures, but for now, just a recipe for making sweet butter.

Simple and makes a great breakfast or snack.




Yogurt Zucchini Bread  


1 cup of sunflower seeds

2 cups of all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 tbs sugar

2 eggs

1/2 cup veg oil

1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt

1 cup coarsely grated zucchini



Preheat the oven to 325F. Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and set aside. In another bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until foamy. Add the oil and yogurt and whisk until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Add the grated zucchini and the sunflower seeds. Stir gently carefully making sure the batter does not become too tight.





Butter a 9” loaf pan. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top out. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 min or until toothpick will come out dry.






Sweet honeyed butter







I whip my own butter and one of these days I will post the process. For this sweet honeyed butter, you can just take
8 tbs ( 1 stick) of butter at room temperature


                                                 2 tbs honey

                                                 1 tsp freshly grated cinnamon



                                               Mix and enjoy with your Zucchini bread.


No comments: