Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Swordfish steaks and favorite things.


Just recently my son was mopping around the house complaining that he has nothing to look forward to…. Must be genetic, because the anticipation is what drives me and keeps me happy.  Looking forward to trips, cooking projects, and other fun things is my favorite past time and if nothing is coming up I get antsy…
And if I have nothing big to look forward I think of all the little things that can keep me going for now…. This time of year is look forward to the chilly air and the way the sun hits a golden maple tree in my back yard, to the feel of wearing favorite boots for the first time, to pumpkin everything, to lots of venison in the freezer, to the daunting task for coming up with the Thanksgiving menu and to confiscating my children’s Halloween candy and then eating all my favorite ones in secret.  I look forward to the my orchids blooming in the winter, to warm blankets and cozy pj’s , to getting snowed in on the weekend and heaving nothing to do but cook, eat and watch Breaking Bad.
I look forward to comfort foods and foods that will take me back to summer, back to Italy, back to the blue waters of Mediterranean…  what better choice than a nice, hearty, Swordfish steak. 
Originally, I was going to serve the Swordfish with Potatoes Au Gratin and Green Beans, but my Au Gratin didn’t work ( contrary to popular belief, some things do fail in my kitchen and more often than you think) so a few thousand calories were saved and a much healthier dinner was served.

 
The biggest trick to cooking swordfish is not to over or under cook it… it needs to be a perfect medium, because anything over is bone dry and anything under is just not flavorful enough.  You also want the freshest cuts, preferably not previously frozen and the stakes have to be at least ½ inch thick, although 2/3 of an Inch thick is the best.
Pan Seared Swordfish Steaks with Lemon Herb butter
4 Swordfish steaks – 2/3 inch thick at room temperature
¼ cup of fine flour (also called sauce or sauté flour)
Salt and pepper
Vegetable oil for the pan
For the sauce
 
½ tbs of rosemary minced
1 tsp of fresh thyme
1 tbs of fresh parsley
Juice of half a lemon
2 cloves of garlic
Salt / Pepper
½ cup of extra virgin olive oil ( the fruitiest you can find)
1 tbs of melted butter

Heat vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed pan until almost smoking.  Salt and pepper the stakes on both sides and dip into the fine flour (shake off the excess).  Sear on each side until just golden ( 1 -2 minutes).  Prepare the sauce -  combine all the ingredients in the food processor or blender.  Process until smooth.    Dress the fish with the sauce immediately after taking off the heat ( you may want to slightly heat the sauce as well).  Serve hot.
 

 
Delicious, hearty but still light!  Unlike the 100 lbs of venison in my freezer, which I am very much looking forward to cooking!

No comments: